Monday, January 12, 2015

Lo Siento...No Hablo Español

Welp. If you haven't already heard... we moved to Paraguay.
And will be here for the next 5 months. 

After 22 hours of travel 
(SLC-Detroit-Sao Paulo- Asuncion)
we made it! 

 We have been here less than a week, but it's already been an adventure.

OUR FIRST WEEK:

1. It is 100 degrees everyday + humidity. Thankfully our room has ac. 

2. Speaking of our room- Ryan and I were placed in this lovely spot in the house. 
 And this is how you get to it.Just walk down the creepy alley.
But actually we really like it. We have one dresser and a bed. What more do you need?

3. Probably the biggest challenge is not getting hit by a car. Seriously. They don't slow down. At all. And it's kinda a free for all when driving. No lanes. Just go wherever, whenever you want basically. Makes playing Frogger across the street so much more exhilarating.

4. To get on a bus you just hold your arm out and one comes. Like a taxi. Also something new for me. 


5. We helped with the Elevate business school on Saturday. We were placed into teams and played that game where you start with something little and then have to keep trading to get bigger and better things.. ya know.. yeah well we played that for 3 hours in the city. Keep in mind, I don't speak Spanish. So I just followed my team around all day. But we won! We started with a dry ball of clay and ended up with 85,000 guaraní (like $20). Ryan gets the MVP award. He sold clothes random people gave us to other random people on the streets. So funny.

6. Meet Kaitlin (4) and Julianne (2). When asked, "Why are you beautiful?" They reply, "Because of my heart, my mind, and the light in my eyes." When their dad says good job, now why is Lindsay beautiful, they say, "Cause she has earrings and a hair tie." From that moment I knew we would become great friends- until I was blackmailed by the 4 year old saying she wouldn't give my ring back until I gave her, her own ring and lipstick. 
Also you have to be sneaky when taking their picture, cause if they catch you they will make this face. 

7. Apparently selling mangoes here would be like "selling sand at the beach." So we learned that all fruit is basically free. So bring on the mango smoothies. 

8. Everyone thinks I'm kidding when I say, "no hablo".. and they laugh and then continue to speak to me in Spanish... and then I just stare at them until they realize I do not in fact speak Spanish. Something I gotta work on. 

9. We actually live in a really nice neighborhood. And our house is extremely nice as well.

PC: Ryan (he is really enjoying this photography stuff- which works in my favor) 
Cobblestone roads 
 And I just thought this was cool- glass on this person's fence so no one will climb over. Cool/slightly scary.

We are excited to be here! 






No comments:

Post a Comment